Inspiration is a fickle thing. You never know where it’ll strike, but you also can’t wait around for it to do so if you want to get anything done. 51 Ideas for Your Next Zine was helpful to people, so I figured I’d help out with another list. Here are…
51 (More) Ideas for Your First/Next Zine
In no particular order…
- Say it without words (make a wordless zine)
- Your favourite recipe & the story behind it
- Take a day/week/etc off the internet & document your thoughts
- Your favourite conspiracy theory
- Your favourite mystery
- Three people (living or dead) come to dinner…
- Who are you in an alternate timeline? What if you’d made different choices?
- What comes after capitalism/consumerism?
- Something you’ve always wanted to learn
- Books you want to write/comics you want to make/stories you want to tell
- Dream job that doesn’t exist
- Your very mild superpower
- Play tourist in your town
- Character profile (real or fictional)
- Guilty pleasures
- Bucket list (things to do before ___)
- What you’d do with $1 million (silly or serious)
- Write by hand (it activates different parts of the brain than typing does)
- Brainstorm your next project
- Create a survey and share the results
- Go through any childhood papers/art you have
- Do a life audit
- One thing you’ve learned for each year of life you’ve lived
- What inspires you
- Who inspires you
- Your own life hacks
- Make something with a friend
- Try blackout poetry
- The Tourist’s Guide to Your Life
- The Beginner’s Guide to ___
- Things you wish for (big and small)
- Things you wish people knew about you the moment they met you
- Your dream workspace/studio (bonus points for drawing it!)
- Write a manifesto
- How I Got Started ___
- People you would like to meet
- Try something “for kids” (they’re still fun activities)
- Something you couldn’t finish for whatever reason
- Create a puzzle (crossword, sudoku, etc) to include in your zine
- What makes you happy?
- Who/What has positively influenced you?
- Turn it into art (take that as you will)
- Explore ‘generators’ online – vampire name generator, Shakespeare insult generator, etc
- Your ideal phone app
- Go ‘random article surfing‘ on Wikipedia
- Imagine a life story for a stranger
- Your muse
- What your pets get up to after you go to sleep…
- Check out my first 51 Ideas for Your Next Zine
Hello and happy Thursday, zine friends!
It’s day two of ZineWriMo and, if you hadn’t noticed, I went for the slow rev up to actually making zines this month. Get a firm foundation and all that good stuff before jumping right into making things. (Of course, that doesn’t stop you from jumping right in and making things.)
Today the prompt is brainstorming zine ideas.
“What do I make a zine about?” is a variation of a very common question for creatives. There can be so much energy, but with no idea what to do with that energy, things can get frustrating. Hence brainstorming ideas.
How you choose to brainstorm is up to you. There are heaps of possibilities out there from mind mapping to writing down everything you can think of as fast as you can. You may want to write down or print out 51 Ideas for Your Next Zine as a way of getting started.
There’s no wrong way to do it so long as you find your way to inspiration.
How you choose to store your ideas also comes with many options. One fun idea I’ve always liked is the idea jar where you write down your ideas on slips of paper and stick them in a jar (or a box):(Picture from The Organized Housewife)
Whenever you’re ready to start a new project but aren’t sure what to do, you can pluck an idea or two out of the jar to get you started.
This is my version of the idea jar. It goes with me wherever I go and contains all the strange and wonderful (and not so wonderful) ideas for what to make zines about. Sometimes it’s an idea for a whole zine, while other things are rough sketches or small blurbs to include somewhere. Either way, this little notebook means I don’t forget any ideas I have.
I already have a pretty huge list written down today, so I don’t think I’ll be looking for new zine ideas anytime soon!
Be sure to share links to your posts/pictures showing off your ideas and where you keep them.
I am someone who always has a list of ideas running, so I tend to forget that other people sometimes don’t know what they want to write about. As your resident zine enthusiast, I think it’s my duty to be as helpful as possible in your journey to making a zine. So here are…
51 Ideas for Your First/Next Zine
In no particular order…
- Your life! Yep, start a perzine
- Mental health/mental illness
- A physical condition/illness
- Politcal zine
- A holiday, road trip, etc
- Moving house/self/etc
- Your favourite animal, species, pet
- Zine reviews
- A zine about zines – the lovely ‘zine zine’
- Your spiritual and/or religious views
- A television show
- A movie, series of movies, or genre of movies
- A book, series of books, or genre of books
- Book reviews
- Poetry zine
- A sport, sports person, or team
- A fiction zine with a single story or a collection of stories
- Photography zine
- A game, series of games, specific games platform, genre of games
- A band, musician, or genre of music
- Comic! Illustrate your life, a fictional story, anything
- A colouring zine
- Sex, sexuality, views about sex-related topics
- Your heritage/background
- Your hobby
- Your collection
- A ‘how to’ guide
- A ‘how to’ guide for something that isn’t real/hasn’t occurred/been needed yet (like ‘how to actually taste a rainbow’)
- A social issue you feel strongly about
- Nature, gardening, or other outdoor-focus
- Interview someone, a group of people, or several people individually
- DIY zine
- Something silly
- A spotlight on your hometown
- A lifestyle choice you have made or want to make
- 24-hour zine thing (whatever it is, make it in 24 hours or less)
- Art zine
- Split zine (you do one half/part and someone/other people do the other)
- Single topic, multiple perspectives
- Parenting/raising children
- Your craft
- A collection of recipes
- Experiments in cooking
- Current events
- A zine centred around a specific event
- Randomness all shoved into one zine
Want more ideas? Check out 51 (More) Ideas for Your Next Zine
The Radical Uprise 6: Summer Kicker!
I know the timing of this might not be the best, what with the northern hemisphere heading into autumn, but here in the southern hemisphere, we’re pretty excited about spring. And, well, what follows spring…
The Radical Uprise 6: Summer Kicker! is an excellent example of a zine that is unabashedly and wholeheartedly what it is. What does that mean? In this case, it means this zine is a list zine with an abundance of ideas for what to do about your summer boredom – or the fact you should, you know, see the sun and the outside world.
With suggestions like ‘Learn Calligraphy’, ‘Flea Market’, and ‘Go Raw for a Week’, there’s a great combination of active and quiet activities to suit various personalities.
The real beauty of something like this is that, though it’s a summer boredom breaker, it’s good all year ’round – regardless of boredom levels. You could grab this zine out for finding out something new to do for the day or for winter activities, too. Okay, so walking around barefoot might not be the best idea in winter, but there are plenty of ideas that are definitely year-round or could be with just a little tweaking.
The extra touch I really loved in this mini-zine is the extra space at the end to put in your own ideas for kicking the boredom (and the computer addiction). Either that, or listing out your answers to the prompt that comes before it: Create a summer soundtrack. I’m not sure what the original intention for these lines are, but either way, I love it.